Symptoms and Tretment of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Vitamin B12 helps make your DNA and your red blood cells, for example.
How Much to You Get?
The answer depends on things including your age, your eating habits and medical conditions, and the medications you take.
The average recommended amount, measured in micrograms (MCG), varies by age:
- Infants up to age 6 months: 0.4 mcg
- Babies age 7-12 months: 0.5 mcg
- Children age 1-3 years: 0.9 mcg
- Kids age 4-8 years: 1.2 mcg
- Children age 9-13 years: 1.8 mcg
- Teens age 14-18: 2.4 mcg (2.6 mcg per day if pregnant and 2.8 mcg per day if breastfeeding)
- Adults: 2.4 mcg (2.6 mcg per day if pregnant and 2.8 mcg per day if breastfeeding)
Food Sources of Vitamin B12:
Animal sources include dairy products, eggs, fish, meat, and poultry. If you’re looking for a food fortified with vitmian B12, check the product’s Nutrition Facts label vitmian B12.
Vitamin B12 deficiency:
Most people in the U.S. get enough of this nutrient. If you’re not sure, you can ask your doctor if you should get a blood test to check your vitamin B12 level.
You may also be more likely to develop vitamin B12 deficiency if you have:
- Atrophic gastritis, in which your stomach lining has thinned
- Pernicious anemia, which makes it hard for your body to absorb vitamin B12
- Conditions that affect your small intestine, such as Crohn’s disease, celiac disease, bacterial growth, or a parasite
- Alcohol misuse or heavy drinking can make it harder for your body to absorb nutrients or prevent you from eating enough calories. One sign that you lack enough B12 may be glossitis, or a swollen, inflamed tongue.
- Immune system disorders, such as Graves’ disease or lupus
- Been taking certain medications that interfere with the absorption of B12. This includes some heartburn medicines including proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) such as esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid), omeprazole (Prilosec OTC), pantoprazole (Protonix), and rabeprazole (Aciphex), H2 Blockers such as cimetidine (Tagamet) and famotidine (Pepcid AC); and certain diabetes medicines such as metformin (Glucophage).vitmian B12
You can also get deficiency if you follow a vegan diet (meaning you don’t eat any animal products, including meat, milk, cheese, and eggs) or you are a vegetarian who doesn’t eat enough eggs or dairy products to meet your vitamin B12 needs.
In both of those cases, you can add fortified foods to your diet or take supplements to meet this need.
Pregnant or new mother?
Are you a pregnant woman on a vegan or vegetarian diet, and plan to only breastfeed your baby?
You should talk to your doctor before you have your baby, so that you have a plan in place for how you’ll get enough vitamin B12 to keep your baby healthy.vitmian B12
Without enough vitamin B12, your baby can develop developmentally and not thrive or grow like that.vitmian B12
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency:
f you have vitamin B12 deficiency, you could become anemic. A mild deficiency may cause no symptoms. But if untreated, it may lead to symptoms such as:
- Weakness, tiredness, or lightheadedness
- Heart palpitations and shortness of breath
- Pale skin
- A smooth tongue
- Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas
- Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking
- Vision loss
- Mental problems like depression, memory loss, or behavioral changes vitmian B12
If you have dangerous anemia or have trouble absorbing vitamin B12, you will first need shots of this vitamin. You may need to get these shots, take a high dose of a supplement by mouth, or after that.
If you do not eat animal products, you have options. You can change your diet to include vitamin B12-fortified grains, a supplement or B12 injection, or high-dose oral vitamin B12 if you are deficient.
For most people, treatment resolves the problem. However, any nerve damage that occurred due to deficiency may be permanent.vitmian B12
Most people can prevent vitamin B12 deficiency by eating enough meat, poultry, seafood, dairy products and eggs.vitmian B12
If you do not eat animal products, or have a medical condition that affects how well your body absorbs nutrients, then you can add vitamin B12 to multivitamins or other supplements.vitmian B12
People also search for the same :vitmian B12